Right to Build and Plot Finding-Be Prepared!
When looking for a plot for self build, custom build or Right to Build it is important to be ready to make a quick decision when you find the right site. Whilst I can help you find a plot, it would be a very good idea for you to have already designed your dream home so that I can then help you decide if your house would fit on the plot you have found and you can then quickly put down a deposit whilst others are still getting their calculators out, sketching plans on the back of an envelope or looking up the number for an architect.
'Be prepared' as the boy scouts say and may the 'early bird catch the worm' is what I say so let me sketch up and price up your ideal house design and get a turnkey construction quote so that you can check this against local house prices and each plot price to see if the land cost is a bargain, over the top or just right for you to make a tidy profit.
Across the UK there are currently eleven locations that benefit from 'Right to Build': a Government initiative to help get custom build and self build projects off the ground.
The government-backed scheme offers custom build or self builders the opportunity to register their interest with their local council in their chosen area. These 'vanguard' councils as they are called establish and maintain a register of prospective custom and self builders in the area work to identify 'shovel-ready' sites for those on their register.
The 12 areas listed below (Exmoor and Dartmoor National Park Authorities appear separately) are the first to offer this Right to Buy to their residents and have received a share of £550,000 to set the scheme up.
Each area also has contact channels to request further information :
- Cherwell District Council: 01295 221615 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Cambridgeshire District Council: 01954 713181 or email@example.com
- Shropshire Council: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teignbridge District Council: 01626 215707 or email@example.com
- Oldham Council: 0161 770 5261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- West Lindsey District Council: email@example.com
- Exmoor National Park: 01398 323665 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dartmoor National Park: 01392 248919 or email@example.com
- Pendle Borough Council: 01282 661681 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sheffield City Council: 0114 273 6396 or email@example.com
- South Norfolk Council: 01508 533711 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stoke-on-Trent City Council: 01782 234850 or email@example.com
We will add more as they are announced and I can help you assess if each Right to Build plot suits your preferred house design.